Thursday, August 14, 2008

a bloodless Radiohead


Saw Radiohead in Camden the other night. Camden is a quaint little burg right across the river from Philly; quite scenic and worth a stop for a cappuccino on your next trip in that direction. I was struck by how mannered their stage show seemed. I've been following Thom and Co since "Creep" hit back in '94 and I've always loved the band and have all their albums. They essentially recreate their studio recordings live (which is hugely impressive and makes me think that those amazing records, with all of those great soundscapes and complex arrangements are probably performed live in the recording studio). In Rainbows is a masterpiece and the performances of "Nude" and especially "Videotape" (I can't listen to that song without bawling) were phenomenal. All of that notwithstanding, the show left me a bit cold. I can't help but wonder if it's not because I saw Iggy and the Stooges just recently and the gut-spilling anarchic raw power of that show was so blinding in comparison. The Stooges were really tight and well-rehearsed but as a performance there was something about it that was hugely compelling. Radiohead, with their gorgeous light show and impeccable recreations of their recorded material somehow seemed...a bit distant.

No comments: