Saturday, August 9, 2008

Don't blame it on New York, it's YOU!


Why do people behave like assholes and then use the fact that they are in New York city as a justification for their cretinous behavior? This pattern is widespread and I've experienced it several times. Case in point: I was at Big Nick's sidewalk café on Bway (the perfect summer hang) with my pal J and this douchebag is sitting at a table behind us braying into his cellphone at such high volume that, sitting close to each other at a small table, J and I were having trouble hearing each other. After he repeatedly ignored our polite gestures to lower his voice, I finally (after over 10 minutes of tolerating his inane palaver) leaned on his table with one elbow and, glaring with my nose about 3 inches from his, told him that he was insanely annoying and that it was impossible to hear my buddy who was about 2 feet away on account of his unattenuated prattle. He threw up his arms and said, "Aw c'mon man! It's New York!" Right, it's not YOU that's mindlessly shouting into your cellphone, oblivious, it's New York. I honestly came this close to grabbing this little prick's cellphone and hurling it into the street. That would've been great. "You want New York? Okay, how's this asshole?!" He (finally) got the hint and vacated. If you're gonna be an douche, just own it and leave New York out of it.

No comments: